Put a freeze on home fires this holiday season

    0
    72

    Home fires are more common during the holidays than in any other season. Last year, Lethbridge Fire and Emergency Services responded to four residential fires causing more than $500,000 in damage during the holiday season. Two of these fires were caused by leaving a stove unattended.

    Have a safe holiday season by remembering these important fire safety tips:

    • Always stub smoking materials such as cigarettes completely out and dispose of them safely.
    • Ensure space heaters are at least one metre away from all combustibles such as drapes or curtains. Space heaters should be plugged directly into the wall, not into extension cords.
    • Candles should be in a sturdy holder and should never be left unattended.
    • Holiday wires and extension cords should be replaced immediately if bare spots or fraying occur.
    • Ensure natural Christmas trees are watered regularly and placed away from heat.
    • Extension cords are rated and should be used only for the equipment for which they are rated.

     

    For more information contact: 

    Mark Hoveling

    Fire Prevention Officer

    403-320-3811

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here