Home fires are more common during the holidays than in any other season. Last year, Lethbridge Fire and Emergency Services responded to four residential fires causing more than $500,000 in damage during the holiday season. Two of these fires were caused by leaving a stove unattended.
Have a safe holiday season by remembering these important fire safety tips:
- Always stub smoking materials such as cigarettes completely out and dispose of them safely.
- Ensure space heaters are at least one metre away from all combustibles such as drapes or curtains. Space heaters should be plugged directly into the wall, not into extension cords.
- Candles should be in a sturdy holder and should never be left unattended.
- Holiday wires and extension cords should be replaced immediately if bare spots or fraying occur.
- Ensure natural Christmas trees are watered regularly and placed away from heat.
- Extension cords are rated and should be used only for the equipment for which they are rated.
For more information contact:
Fire Prevention Officer