With the first snow thisweek there is a familiar need to warm the heads, hearts and hands of those less fortunate in Lethbridge.
Streets Alive Mission is kickstarting their winter essentials clothing drive today, seeking new or gently used coats/jackets, gloves, toques, scarves and boots. Items can be donated at the Streets Alive Mission, 323 4 St S, Lethbridge. Alternatively cash donations of any amount are always welcome. A $50 cash gift can go a long way with the help of our partner organisations. To donate please visit streetsalive.ca and click on the ‘Donate’ tab for secure online donation options, or drop a cheque or cash off at the Mission’s downtown location.
Ken Kissick, co-founder of Streets Alive Mission, says “When the first cold weather arrives most of us reach into a closet and bring out our warm coat, but if you don’t have a closet, chances are you don’t have a warm coat. Cold is cold no matter who you are, and the fact is we all have something warm in our closet we could share with someone in need.”
- Streets Alive Mission began as the vision of three women back in 1989 to reach out to the impoverished and homeless people in Lethbridge.
- Streets Alive Mission has seen six different locations and is now located at 323 4 Street South, in downtown Lethbridge.
- There are 13 programs run by Streets Alive Mission, including a People In Need (PIN) Bank, a Mobile Meals Unit, and a Mobile Medical Unit. All of these programs are provided by generous donations of community supporters, and teams of committed volunteers. No government funding is used for Streets Alive Mission programs.
- Streets Alive Mission serves over 100 people per day, on average, through their programs.
- Last year alone, Streets Alive Mission provided 2,983 full sets of clothing to people in need, as well as 50,000 sandwiches for those living on the streets or in the shelter and low-income hotels around downtown Lethbridge.
Streets Alive Mission is dedicated to bringing hope to those who have none, by building relationships with the disenfranchised, through a variety of volunteer driven programs.