With heat warnings issued for Lethbridge, residents and visitors are encouraged to visit air-conditioned City facilities if they’re looking for relief from the heat.
City pools and arenas are ideal places to cool off. Pool schedules are available by calling the 24-Hour Public Swimming Hotline 403-320-4970 or online at www.lethbridge.ca/pools. Public skating schedules are available by calling the 24-Hour Public Skating Hotline at 403-320-7971 or online at www.lethbridge.ca/arenas. In addition, facilities such as CASA, the Galt Museum, the Helen Schuler Nature Centre and both branches of the Lethbridge Public Library are great places to stop in and cool off.
Heat warnings are issued when very high temperature or humidity conditions are expected to pose an elevated risk of heat illnesses, such as heat stroke or heat exhaustion. Heat warnings in Alberta are issued by Environment and Climate Change Canada in partnership with Alberta Health Services and Alberta Health.
While heat can put anyone at risk from heat illnesses, health risks are greatest for older adults, infants and young children, people with chronic illnesses such as breathing difficulties, heart conditions or psychiatric illnesses, people who work in the heat, people who exercise in the heat, homeless people, and people without access to air conditioning.
Hot Weather Tips:
- Drink plenty of liquids especially water before you feel thirsty to decrease your risk of dehydration. Thirst is not a good indicator of dehydration.
- Frequently visit neighbours, friends and older family members, especially those who are chronically ill, to make sure that they are cool and hydrated.
- If you are taking medication or have a health condition, ask your doctor or pharmacist if it increases your health risk in the heat and follow their recommendations.
- Reschedule or plan outdoor activities during cooler parts of the day.
- Take a break from the heat by spending a few hours in a cool place.
- Never leave people or pets in your care inside a parked vehicle or in direct sunlight.